This course will focus primarily on the "big" works by the "big" authors of 19th century Russian literature - Goncharov, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky and Chekhov - dealing with "big" themes as well as with literary nuances. All readings and discussions are in English. No prerequisites.
1) Oblomov, Ivan Goncharov (Alma Classics)
2) Goncharov's "Oblomov": A Critical Companion (Northwestern)
3) Notes from the Underground, Fyodor Dostoevsky (Norton Critical Editions)
4) Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy (Norton Critical Editions)
5) Short Stories, Anton Chekhov (Norton Critical Editions)
6) Selected Plays, Anton Chekhov (Norton Critical Editions)