UW-University of Ljubljana Scholars Exchange

Ljubljana

The University of Washington – University of Ljubljana Scholars Exchange Committee invites applications from UW faculty, other academic personnel, and senior graduate students to visit the University of Ljubljana (Slovenia) during the 2018 calendar year.   Academic visitors are expected to give lectures, interact with Slovene students, and collaborate with Slovene faculty colleagues in their field of specialization.  The visit must be completed by the end of 2018, and should take place while the University of Ljubljana is in session (spring or fall semesters).  The UW-UL Exchange Committee will cover 75% or $1,200 (whichever is less) of travel costs totaling up to $1,600; the applicant’s home department is expected to fund the remaining 25%.  The University of Ljubljana will provide lodging and a modest per diem. Up to two UW participants, each staying from two to four weeks, can be supported.  No knowledge of Slovene language is required.

 Since 1978 the UW-UL Scholars Exchange has supported productive collaborations involving faculty throughout Arts and Sciences, Built Environments, Business, Engineering, Environment, Law, Medicine, Nursing, and Social Work, and from the UW Seattle, Tacoma and Bothell campuses.  Applicants should submit their CV and a cover letter which explains the academic value and proposed outcomes of the visit. A copy of correspondence with the applicant’s Ljubljana counterparts, giving evidence of a shared commitment to a well-articulated, collaborative research project with measurable impacts, should be included.  UW participants in the program are required to submit a concise report identifying the academic outcomes of their visit and outlining the next steps in the collaboration.  The UW-Ljubljana Exchange is supported at UW by the Office of the Vice-Provost for Global Affairs, the College of Arts and Sciences, and the Roma Boniecka-Anna Cienciala Endowment for Slovene Studies

 Deadline for applications:  Monday, December 11, 2017, 5pm.   Questions and proposals should be addressed to:  

Michael Biggins (Chair, UW-Ljubljana Exchange Committee), UW Libraries, Box 352900 mbiggins@uw.edu
University of Washington, Box 352900
Seattle, WA 98195-2900
Voice: (206) 543-5588
mbiggins@uw.edu

 

Participants are evaluated and selected by the UW standing committee for the Exchange, whose members are: 

Sallie Thieme Sanford (Law)

Nives Dolšak (Marine and Environmental Affairs)

James Clauss (Classics)

Aurel Bulgac (Physics)

Michael Biggins (Libraries; Slavic Languages) 

 

For more information

University of Ljubljana
https://www.uni-lj.si/eng/

Slovenia – General Information
http://www.slovenia.si/

 Lonely Planet guide to Slovenia
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/slovenia

 Information about Ljubljana
http://www.ljubljana.si/en/