Sasha Senderovich holds a Ph.D. from the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures at Harvard University (2010).
His published work includes articles on Russian Jewish writers David Bergelson and Isaac Babel, a critical introduction and notes to the English-language translation of Moyshe Kulbak’s Soviet Yiddish novel The Zelmenyaners: A Family Saga (Yale University Press, 2013), as well as on contemporary English-language fiction by Russian Jewish émigré authors — including Gary Shteyngart, Anya Ulinich, Boris Fishman, and Irina Reyn — in the United States. Together with Harriet Murav, he is the translator of the Yiddish writer David Bergelson’s Judgment: A Novel (Northwestern University Press, 2017) and, from Yiddish and Russian, of In the Shadow of the Holocaust: Short Fiction by Jewish Writers from the Soviet Union (under contract with Stanford University Press). His first book, “How the Soviet Jew Was Made,” was published by Harvard University Press in 2022.
In addition to his academic work, Sasha has published journalism and public scholarship in the Los Angeles Review of Books, Lilith, the Forward, the New York Times, the New Republic, The New Yorker’s Page-turner blog, Jewish Currents, and Seattle's The Stranger (these articles can be found here). One of his additional regular activities involves summertime teaching as a faculty member of the Great Jewish Books program for high school students, in Amherst, Massachusetts.
- Assistant Professor Sasha Senderovich Publishes New Book - May 27, 2022
- Assistant Professor Sasha Senderovich Awarded Funding for New Collaborative Translation Project - May 18, 2022
- Dr. Sasha Senderovich Co-edits a Special Issue of Jewish Currents - April 7, 2022
- Maria Sonevytsky's Lecture on Songs and Sovereignty in Ukraine Online - March 25, 2022
- Dr. Sasha Senderovich Receives 2020-21 Frankel Institute Fellowship! - September 9, 2020
- Bush Legs - December 7, 2018
- Sasha Senderovich's review of "Lake Success" Gary Shteyngart's new novel - September 6, 2018
- Senderovich on how The Americans (on FX) challenges Cold War narratives | The New Republic - May 30, 2018
- Prof. Sasha Senderovich - March 29, 2018
- Publication of a new book from Slavic faculty member Sasha Senderovich - September 15, 2017
- Prof. Senderovich's article about Seattle's Lenin statue - August 28, 2017
- NEW CLASS for AUT 2017 RUSS 223 Russian Revolutions: Film - May 2, 2017
- Slavic L&L Welcomes New Faculty Member Sasha Senderovich - April 26, 2017